The holidays are finally over, and while we’re half-heartedly on a New Year’s health kick, we’re mostly just tired. Tired of cooking, tired of cleaning, and dare we say it, even tired of all the rich, hearty holiday food we gleefully shoved into our faces all season.
It’s not you, baked brie, it’s me. Me and the grease-stained pants that no longer button after 2 months of indulging. Enter the trusty slow cooker. Any mama with a Pinterest knows that crock pots are a mom’s best friend, and suffice it to say, gave us plenty of inspiration for this post.
Keep reading for 5 healthy slow cooker recipes the whole family will love:
- Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Tacos
- Crockpot Beef with Broccoli
- Skinny Chicken Alfredo
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
Easy Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 tsp. sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tsp. sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. egg noodles
- In a slow cooker, combine chicken, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, garlic, and bay leaf and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour in broth.
- Cover and cook on low, 6 to 8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Discard herbs and bay leaf. Return chicken to slow cooker and add egg noodles.
- Cook on low, covered, until al dente, 20 to 30 minutes.
Slow Cooker Crispy Chicken Tacos
Recipe by Gimme Some Oven
- 4-5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 12 oz chicken stock (original recipe calls for beer)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2-4 fresh limes
DIRECTIONS (Edited for length)
- Gently mix the chicken, stock, onion, garlic, chipotle, cumin, black pepper, chili powder, and salt in a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until you can shred all the chicken easily with a fork.
- Preheat your broiler to high, and transfer shredded chicken to a greased baking sheet. (Don’t discard the juices.)
- Broil on a low rack for 5-6 minutes, until the edges of the chicken begin browning and crisping up. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the juices over the chicken and coat well. Broil for an additional 5 minutes. Repeat one more time.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and toss chicken with the remaining broth and fresh lime juice. Serve immediately.
Crockpot Beef with Broccoli
- 1 lb boneless, beef chuck roast, sliced into strips
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- frozen broccoli florets (approximately 2 cups, or however many floats your boat)
- white rice, cooked
- In the slow cooker, whisk together beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and garlic.
- Add the beef slices to the liquid and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on low, 6 hours.
- After the 6 hours, combine water and cornstarch, and stir until smooth. Pour into slow cooker and mix well.
- Add the broccoli, toss to coat, and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes to thicken up the sauce.
- Serve hot over white rice.
Skinny Chicken Alfredo
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons light cream cheese not fat free
- ½ cup fresh parmesan cheese shredded
- salt to taste
- pinch nutmeg
- 12 oz fresh fettuccine
- fresh parsley to taste
- Over medium heat, put olive oil and garlic in a pan. Cook about 1 minute.
- Add flour to cold milk until dissolved and add to pan. Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly. Once thickened, turn heat off stir in cream cheese, salt & nutmeg until melted. Add parmesan and chicken.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Toss pasta with sauce and top with parsley and additional cheese.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour (tapioca for gluten-free)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or gluten-free tamari or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- Add 1 egg to a bowl and whip.
- In a separate bowl add flour.
- Dip chicken into bowl with egg and then into bowl with flour until all pieces are combined.
- Add coconut oil to a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Saute chicken on each side for 1 minute to brown. Set aside.
- In slow cooker combine tomato paste, water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, aminos or soy sauce and ginger.
- Add in onion, pepper, broccoli, and pineapple.
- Top with chicken.
- Stir until all ingredients are coated with sauce.
- Set on high for 2.5 hours or low for 4.5 hours.
- Serve over a bed of rice or cauliflower rice.
Bon appetit, and a healthy New Year to you all!